Monday, April 13, 2009

How Long Has It Been ??????

OMG, I had a lady from my list ask me about my blog, I dropped by and took a look at my post, I am shocked! What in the world have I been doing??
I made a promise to myself I would keep up on this, this year. I haven't done a good job! I should have something to show for it shouldn't I?




This is the "to be studio".
That's what I have been doing.
It is an old mobile home that was left here on our lot. Let me tell you, it was not a pretty site! I have put up wall paper, painted,ripped out walls,gutted the baths. Torn off siding and am residing. Put in new windows, am putting in new floors, un packing, organizing, and trying to get something done to put on my Etsy store :)
I was pleased with my organization, till I decided to rip out the front wall dividing the master bedroom ( the rest of the storage that hadn't been gone thru) and my room and decided I couldn't possibly finish putting stuff away till I had everything un packed! So now I have a huge mess again. But when it is done it will be done!! So far I have the living room, kitchen,laundry done. Baths are storage for my fleece. You know how usually you end up having more than you thought you did? I didn't :( I actually need to purchase much more wool to get me thru the season till next shearing.
I love having the kitchen to do my dyeing. I removed all the cupboard doors, painted the cabinets lavender and cream, crackle glazed them, and they are presentable now. One of the nice things is I don't worry about my mess or spills. I have a cupboard above the sink that has all my dyes where I can see them. Pots underneath the sink where I can grab them. Very good lighting now that we have them all installed.
I have the living room area for my looms, which aren't set up yet :( The dining area is my sewing quilting area. I have a wall for blocking my knitting, a wall for yarns for weaving, and yarn hanging everywhere. As you can see from the pictures, it is still a work in progress. After I get thru all the stuff I have strung from one end to the other, I will take finished pictures!!
My last post was when I had first gotten the Texel. I have had more time to work with it and have been dyeing it in the grease. I have been experimenting with that method with several of my fleece and am having good results! Here are some pictures of the Texel




Here is some Border Leicester I dyed in the grease

Here is some Salish Cross I dyed in the grease
This is Cotswold dyed in grease

I picked up 150 lb more Texel over the week end! Hubby made me the nicest skirting table right out my front door and to the right of my "to be studio". It is waist high so I don't have to lean over, we cover it in a nylon type chicken wire so it won't rust. Everything falls right thru! I am saving all the skirted parts of the fleece to put in the bottom of the holes of the Leland Cypress that we are planting at the beginning of the drive.
Now that I have at least posted something to my poor blog, it's time for me to catch up on the blogs I subscribe to. I'm sure everyone has been much better at keeping current than I have!! My desire is to post here at least once a week. Lets see if I can get it done thru the rest of April!!

5 comments:

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Wow. I thought I had a lot of wool. I got nothin on you lol
What a perfect fiber hideout! I need one!
It was great to hear from you, and yes, please do keep us up to par on your wonderful project :)

Karen said...

What a nice studio, love the lavender cupboards. The dyed fleeces are gorgeous! You have certainly been busy,how do you find time to accomplish all that you do?

Michelle said...

I'm drooling over the dyed fleeces, too!

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Dori Ann, you've been meme'd! On my blog :) would love to hear from you again. Hope everything is going well.

Unknown said...

Hello! I am Inés from Abuelita Yarns Company. I loved you workshop, your organizing ways bears a resemblance to my mother's! :D
We are a uruguaian brand which sells yarns. If you want to know more about us please enter www.abuelitayarns.com or if you wish to see our articles and pictures enter www.abuelitayarns.com/blog/
Good luck! :D
I am truly sorry about your loss